Books in 2015

Last year I felt that I was not reading as many non-fiction books as I thought I should be reading.
At the end of the year - I still feel I did not read enough ! Perhaps this year ! Now there's an original resolution ! :)
I am not writing the full review of all the books I read; just a highlight or two in some books that stood out.
1. Everyday Calculus ( Oscar Fernandez ) - Simple loved this book ! Planning to write a full review soon !

2. The brain that changes itself ( Norma Doidge ) - 
Amazing book on the plasticity of the brain and how it uses maps and how the brain itself can be altered through learning, experience and thoughts. The section which talks about Dr. V. S. Ramachandran and the handling of phantom pain experienced by amputees from phantom limbs is eye opening. Amazing work.

The only thing that made me uneasy was the clear fact that there was extensive animal testing. I am not a hypocrite where animal testing is concerned nor am I blind to this phenomenon - it still made me queasy though.

3. Mindset ( Carol Dweck ) - Fixed Mindset vs Growth Mindset. I liked how the author described the two mindsets. While I don't think people tend to have only one mindset at a time - we can judge ourselves on where our predominant thoughts lie.

Fixed Mindset - Intelligence is constant. A desire to look smart can be counter productive because such people may not take up challenges for fear of not being instant-experts ! Do not like criticism.

Growth Mindset - Intelligence can be developed.  Enjoy challenges since they look at them as avenues to learn. Do not feel threatened by other people's success stories.

4. Power up your brain ( David Perlmutter, Alberto Villoldo ) - Didn't connect to this book but this point stood out for me. I didn't know this fact at all !

All of the mitochondrial DNA in your body is inherited solely from your mother' s lineage. That means that the source of energy that sustains your life is derived exclusively from the women in your family tree-your matrilineage.

5. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing ( Marie Kondo ) - 

Was simply curious about a book on tidying up that could reach best sellers list and be talked about so much !!

While some of her pointers seem extreme, what stood out for me is the gist of the book -

" Connect with things that "spark joy" and firmly remove the rest !!" 

Tough advice may be - but it makes sense in a way,  the myriad mind-blogging storage solutions don't do.


6. Dataclysm ( Christian Rudder ) - One particular conclusion is sad although not surprising ! Seems men are only attracted to women in their 20s no matter what their own age is !


No comments:

Post a Comment